Vladimir Guerrero Jr. gave John Schneider a real scare Sunday, then the Blue Jays got the one answer they needed from the X-rays.
Toronto announced Guerrero was removed with a right elbow contusion, and the X-rays came back negative for a fracture.
That changed the whole feel of the moment. This stopped looking like a full-blown disaster and started looking more like a painful day-to-day problem.
The hit came in the bottom of the fifth, when a fastball rode inside and drilled Guerrero on the right elbow. He left the game immediately.
John Schneider said the ball caught Guerrero in «a weird spot,» and Guerrero told him, «I can't feel my hand.» That is not the kind of reaction Toronto is used to seeing from him.
Usually, Guerrero stays near the plate while the training staff checks on him. This time, he turned and headed straight for the dugout, which is why the first fear felt so real.
The good news is still the headline. Negative X-rays do not lock him into the next lineup, but they do move this away from the worst outcome the Blue Jays were fearing in real time.
-
Why this Vladimir Guerrero Jr. update matters
Schneider said Guerrero usually does not come out of games, and that matters here. When a player like that leaves on his own, the dugout notices right away.
The timing made it hit harder. Dylan Cease had already exited in the same inning with mild left hamstring discomfort, so Toronto watched 2 of its biggest names walk off within minutes.
That is why this scan result landed with real relief. The Blue Jays are already dealing with enough strain around the roster, and losing Guerrero for a longer stretch would have changed the whole tone around the club.
The next update should come Monday, when Toronto opens a 3-game series against the Miami Marlins. That gives the Blue Jays a short window to see how the elbow settles overnight.
For now, the club can breathe a little. Guerrero walked off under his own power, the imaging came back clean, and the early diagnosis left room for this to stay manageable.
Sunday had the look of a brutal turn the second Vladimir Guerrero Jr. left the field. Instead, the Blue Jays got the result they needed most: no fracture, no instant nightmare, and a far better place to start from before the next check-in.
Will Vladimir Guerrero Jr. avoid missing serious time after this elbow scare?
Also read on Blue Jays Insider :
Injury update on Vladimir Guerrero Jr. exits after scary Blue Jays hit
