Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is back in John Schneider's 2-hole Monday as the Blue Jays open the Bronx series against the Yankees.
That is the first thing that jumps off Toronto's lineup card. After moving Guerrero up on Sunday, Schneider stayed with the change for the opener at Yankee Stadium.
George Springer leads off as the designated hitter, with Guerrero batting second at first base. Kazuma Okamoto hits third at third base, and Lenyn Sosa slides into the cleanup spot at second.
That shape says plenty about what Schneider wants. He is trying to get Guerrero into the game earlier again, not waiting until the middle innings for his best hitter to set the tone.
Daulton Varsho bats fifth in center, Ernie Clement is sixth at shortstop, and Myles Straw starts in right field hitting seventh. Brandon Valenzuela catches in the 8 spot, with Davis Schneider in left field batting ninth.
The biggest takeaway is that Sunday was not just a 1-day experiment. Guerrero homered in Detroit, went 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored, and Schneider clearly saw enough to bring the new batting-order look into New York.
This also comes with a tougher matchup on paper. Toronto gets Yankees left-hander Ryan Weathers, while Patrick Corbin starts for the Blue Jays in a left-on-left opener. Weathers enters 2-2 with a 3.00 ERA, while Corbin is 1-1 with a 3.93 ERA.
-
Toronto is trying to carry Sunday's spark into the Bronx
That is what makes Guerrero's spot matter so much. Schneider had already said he wanted to think through the 2-hole decision on the flight to New York, especially with a lefty starting Monday. In the end, he stayed with it.
It also gives the top of the lineup a different rhythm. Springer gets on, Guerrero hits early, and Okamoto follows right behind him instead of waiting a turn deeper in the card.
Sosa batting cleanup is another signal. This is not a lineup built around reputation. It is Schneider arranging the order around who he wants handling traffic right now.
There is pressure on this game beyond one lineup tweak. The Blue Jays enter at 21-25, while the Yankees sit at 28-19, so Toronto needs a sharper start than it had for much of the last week.
Guerrero staying second also keeps the spotlight right where it belongs. After weeks of frustration, bat snaps, and questions about his approach, the Blue Jays are still handing him a premium lane and asking him to drive the offense. That matters.
So Monday's card feels like a clear statement from Schneider. He liked what he saw with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. near the top, he did not back off because of the trip to New York, and now the Blue Jays will see whether that Sunday spark can travel into their biggest series of the week.
Should Vladimir Guerrero Jr. stay in the No. 2 spot for now?
Also read on Blue Jays Insider :
Aaron Boone sets tone for Yankees ahead of Blue Jays rematch
