Eye opening update announced between the Toronto Blue Jays and Cody Bellinger
|
Victor William
Jan 20, 2026 (11:05)
|
|
Photo credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images
The Toronto Blue Jays have now pivoted towards Cody Bellinger since losing Kyle Tucker this off-season and Jim Bowden just gave some insight on the subject.
Bowden strongly believes that the Blue Jays should not be interested in Bellinger.
The simple version from Bowden is that Toronto doesn't want the aging risk baked into Bellinger's swing, not the way they were willing to go all-in for Tucker.
Why aren't the Blue Jays in on Cody Bellinger in the same way they were for Kyle Tucker?
"I think it's the risk with how he's gonna age with the swing," says
@JimBowdenGM
"I think it's the risk with how he's gonna age with the swing," says
@JimBowdenGM
When the Blue Jays were pushing on Kyle Tucker, they were talking like a franchise ready to marry the profile for a decade.
MLB's own rumor tracker even noted Toronto as the finalist willing to go as far as ten years.
Tucker also brings the cleaner, younger production arc. In 2025 he hit .266 with a .377 OBP, 22 homers, 73 RBIs, 25 steals, and an .841 OPS, and he just turned 29 on Friday.
Cody Bellinger is a different bet, even after a strong 2025. He hit .272 with 29 homers, 98 RBIs, 13 steals and an .814 OPS, but the on-base line sat at .334, and he's 30 now.
Over the last week, the Blue Jays have been linked to Bellinger but there has been no confirmation of an offer or a meeting between the two.
Cody Bellinger risk keeps Toronto Blue Jays cautious
I get why fans hear that and groan, because Bellinger in Rogers Centre sounds fun on paper.
But if you squint at the numbers, Bowden's point lands. Tucker's 2025 season paired power with patience, while Bellinger's value leaned more on damage, and that kind of timing-driven swing can get loud fast.
Toronto's front office also just watched what October does to margin.
If you're trying to get back to the World Series, you chase the hitter you trust to be the same guy in April and late October.
The market is telling you how teams feel about the downside. The loudest reporting around Bellinger has been the Yankees' negotiations, with real debate over how far you want to carry him into his late thirties.
If Toronto circles back later, fine, but I understand the hesitation.
The Blue Jays need to add certainty to a contender without paying for the years your eyes already worry about.
Also read on Toronto Baseball Insider :
Toronto Blue Jays could close in on blockbuster trade for Cleveland Guardians outfielder
Toronto Blue Jays could close in on blockbuster trade for Cleveland Guardians outfielder
| POLL | ||
JANVIER 20|359 ANSWERS Eye opening update announced between the Toronto Blue Jays and Cody Bellinger Should the Toronto Blue Jays still pursue Cody Bellinger after missing Kyle Tucker? | ||
| Yes sign him | 145 | 40.4 % |
| Only cheap | 60 | 16.7 % |
| No thanks | 139 | 38.7 % |
| Trust Atkins | 15 | 4.2 % |
| List of polls | ||