José Caballero's obstruction near third base didn't sit well with Blue Jays manager John Schneider.
The Yankees infielder is no stranger to controversy this season. Earlier this year, he drew warnings for messing around in the batter's box to bait pitch-clock violations.
Sunday, he found a new way to get under Toronto's skin.
In the bottom of the ninth, Ernie Clement lifted a game-tying sacrifice fly. Josh Smith, tagging from third, needed a clean look at the catch.
Caballero didn't give him one. He moved to block Smith's sightline, trying to keep him from timing his tag on the fly ball off Trent Grisham's glove.
"Just a dirty little tactic used by some players in the game, not all," Sportsnet analyst Joe Siddall said on the broadcast.
Smith still scored, and the Blue Jays tied it. But Ben Rice ended it in the 10th with a two-run homer, sending Toronto to a 4-3 loss.
Schneider wasn't in a mood to elaborate afterward.
Josh Smith shrugs off the play he says he'd try himself
"Yeah, I saw it," Schneider said, according to a report from the Toronto Star. "You don't see it very often."
Asked if he wanted to expand, Schneider offered one word. "Nope."
Smith, for his part, wasn't bothered at all.
"I don't think that's a bad thing, I think it's just part of the game. I do it sometimes, too," said Smith, who often plays third base himself.
Smith joined the Blue Jays from the Texas Rangers at the trade deadline in a deal for left-hander Adam Macko.
His manager clearly saw it differently than his own infielder did. That gap is worth watching.
Toronto opens a six-game road trip Tuesday at Tampa Bay before heading to Yankee Stadium Friday for a weekend series. Caballero will be waiting.
Was José Caballero's obstruction near third base a dirty play or smart baseball?
Also read on Blue Jays Insider :
Blue Jays rookie Ricky Tiedemann tells heartbreaking cancer story following his MLB debut
